Monday, January 3, 2011

The Journey Of A Thousand Miles Must Begin With A Single Step



New day.

New year.

Same ole' Bako.

Eh... two out of three aint bad.

Because in 2011, I'm approaching life with a new attitude. A can-do, endless possibilities, glass-is-half-full outlook on life.

Take for instance, cockroaches.

I haven't written about them in a long while because it was getting tedious and boring. That doesn't mean they've gone anywhere. Far from it. In fact, over the weekend we found our first cockroaches in the new house.

Now, normally, in the past, say in, oh, 2010, that would have resulted in a caustic and snarky post.

But not now. Not in sunny, anything-can-go 2011. This year, I'm taking a new approach.

A Zen approach.

Literally.

So here's my thinking - many people also consider crickets to be pests. But not in China. In China, they're considered fortuitous and a sign of good luck. So now, with my new positive outlook on life, I consider cockroaches nothing more than Bako crickets. Signs of good luck. Good fortune. An auspicious omen of the new year.

Of course, using that logic, we should've won the lotto many times over last year. But I'm not going to go there. That would be negative, 2010, defeatist thinking. And I'm done with that.

So welcome roaches! May your good fortune smile on our new home and the year to come!