Tuesday, January 25, 2011

May You Live In Interesting Times



Truth be told, the drive back to LA isn't actually all that bad, other than the time invested, which is considerable - it's usually around 3 hours each way, depending on traffic. I've learned to schedule my meetings between 11 and 1 so as to beat the worst of the city's rush hours, which isn't saying much - mid-day traffic in LA is pretty horrible, especially if you aren't used to it anymore. It took me almost an hour this morning just to drive the 5 miles over the Sepulveda Pass.

But the first hundred or so miles, and the last coming back, are actually kind of blissful. I get on the highway and set the cruise control at 74 - I've been told by reliable sources that that is the limit of the CHP's beneficence and I can't afford another speeding ticket. I scoot into the second lane and let others blitz by me in the fast lane if they feel so inclined... or lucky. The thing I hate most is people who cut me off and make me actually, ya know, drive. Hit the brakes and have to actually pay attention. Don't fuck with my cruise control or I will tailgate you. If I time it right, I can be in NPR nirvana on both sides of the mountains.

Both meetings went well and resulted in work. For the first time in my life I actually wish meetings went longer. Three hours in, 20 minute meeting, three hours back. At least someone could offer me a coffee.

Today's meeting turned out to be something different and unexpected.

Years ago I worked with a woman I considered a good friend. We traveled around quite a bit, doing various photo shoots in interesting places and getting into too much trouble. She left the agency on not good terms and after bouncing around a bit, she called one day looking for leads. Another friend had recently opened a small agency, and although it wasn't much, I hooked her up.

Flash forward 10 years, and now the small agency had turned into a big deal, and so had she. As she had moved up the food chain, we had kind of lost touch, although I still considered her a friend. When I found myself suddenly unemployed, she was the first person I thought to turn to. I called her up and she graciously scheduled an interview.

It was one of the most humiliating moments of my life.

Not only had the agency grown large, but so had her head.

She was condescending and rude, cruel and mocking. There was never any intention of hiring me for anything. I felt like a fucking cat toy at she batted around the work in my portfolio. That was 2007, and I never heard from her again.

She was still on my e-mail list for promotions. When I sent one out last week, I almost deleted her since it seemed so futile. But what the hell. And guess who called yesterday as I walked in the door?

I met with her today, and she greeted me effusively, like the old friend I once believed we were. I've worked in "the business" too long to take wild mood changes seriously. You can usually chalk it up to meds, legal or otherwise. But for the first few minutes we chatted and caught up, everything about what I had been doing, minus the part about living in Bakersfield.

"So, it ends up one of my senior people just left. Would you be interested in a full-time position?"

You shittin' me?

YES! Didn't even think about it. When you've reached this level of destitution, you don't blink when someone dangles a six figure job in front of you. Did I mention we now drink box wine? Can't afford the stuff in bottles, not even the screw tops.

Is she serious? Who knows. In Hollywood, people mindfuck you for sport. And the meds will wear off eventually. But there's a... possibility? The job I picked up today is obviously a test. If I do well on it (and I always do) and play nice with others, there may actually be a pot at the end of the rainbow.

At least that's what I was thinking.

On the long drive back, the euphoria started to give way to the stark realities of our current life. How the hell would this happen? We just bought a house! In Bakersfield! We just moved in, and actually unpacked! The ramifications and emotional and physical jujitsu involved is giving me a headache.

I suppose there are much worse problems to be had, but this one's going to be a doozey if it comes to pass.