Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It’s A Third World After All, It’s A Third World After All, It’s A Third World After All, It’s A Third, Third, World


I did quite a bit of traveling when I was younger, and I've done my share of camping. I'm not a prima donna when it comes to bugs. But nothing prepared me for the pestilence of Bako. Given the choice between Botswana or Bakersfield, I'd have to go with the former. While the bug count would probably be comparable, I'm guessing Botswana at least has some native culture and charm.

We've resorted to doing a nightly bed check, shaking out the sheets to try and find the roaches before they find us. It's pointless. Almost daily someone is jolted awake in the dead of the night by little disease laden feet skittering across bare arm and legs. Even the dogs aren't immune and my oldest has deserted the bed and now sleeps in relative safety on the floor.

And our old friends the flies are back. I'd almost forgotten about them, or blocked them out of my memory to try and maintain my sanity. But there back and now they come super-sized, horseflies the size of bees.

We're under siege from the land and air; what the hell could possibly come next?

"Bakersfield bed bugs gain national attention."

"Man Says Motel Bed Bugs Eating Him Alive"

"Bed Bugs Biting Bakersfield RV Park Residents."

And to think people live here by choice.