Monday, September 28, 2009

A Spring in Her Step

So....... you're driving around Bako, minding your own business, taking in all the assbackward awfulness, when you hear it. On the radio. The ad. The ad for vaginal rejuvenation.

WTF?!? On radio? Really? In all my years in body-obsessed LA, I've never heard anything like that. At first you think you just imagined it, or hoped you had. But it pops up two or three times an hour. And the creepiest thing is, they seem to play it a lot on the station that features tweener music (when your choices are limited to that, country, or ranchero music, you sadly opt for Miley). One minute we're singing about disco sticks, and then the next thing you know, we're talking labia. Lady Gaga indeed. (The same station also runs Ryan Secrest's vapid syndicated show, so I'm guessing that's about as close as he's ever going to get to a vagina).

The rationale, such as it is, is that there are two rival cosmetic surgery clinics here, the Hatfields and McCoys of lipo. One has been running ads for discount boob jobs and "mommie makeovers", and the other evidently felt the need to throw down the gauntlet and match their boob job, and raise them a vagina.

And who is the intended audience? The soccer moms of Bako? Stuck in traffic with a minivan full of screaming kids, shuttling them between practice and Young Republican meetings? I just can't imagine them hearing this commercial and thinking..."You know, my vagina does feel a little tired and rundown".

I think more likely than not, the intended audience is the husbands. Sitting in the cabs of their F150's, this ad comes on and their ears prick up and images of finely tuned vice grips dance in their heads. Dream on.

The sad thing for me is now, after nearly 30 years of not giving the old VeeJayJay a second thought, it's all I can think of. Rejuvenated ones. Who's had it done? I want to know. Can you tell? Are there signs? A sly, knowing smile perhaps? A twinkled in the eye? A certain glow? And then I think back on our encounter the other night with Bobette, and it suddenly makes sense. I thought she was a little too perky.