Monday, September 21, 2009

Bako Bits

So, let me say at the outset, I have nothing against this place and these people. My dismay and despair are directed at the circumstances that brought me here. It's one thing to pick your exile, to find a place on the map of your choice to try and start over. It's another to have it forced on you by fate and circumstance. I have to appreciate that I'm a stranger in their land, a fish out of water. That being said...

So as my correspondence over the last several months, with the handful of people who were aware of my predicament, degenerated from "Hey, things could be worse, we could have to move to Bakersfield..." to "Oh my fucking God, we have to move to Bakersfield...", my references to the city went from "Bakersfield" to "Bako". A lot of it was just plain laziness - Bakersfield is a chore to type and Bako was quick and text-y. But I also appreciated that it sounded vaguely vulgar and derogatory. I imagined it set the locals teeth on edge the way "Frisco" does up north.

No such luck. They embrace their inner Bako. Bako-this. Bako-that. So, the best of both worlds I guess - I get the inner satisfaction of a snarky dis, and yet no harm is done. Or so I hope. It's only day 9 after all.

And the only other alternative, according to Wikipedia, was "B-Town". Seriously? I doubt anyone refers to it as that... that isn't a city, it's a failed Boy Band.